The Faith Nurture Forum ("the Forum"), and the General Trustees, after consultation with the Legal Questions Committee are empowered to issue Guidance on the implementation and operation of the Presbytery Mission Plan Act (‘the Act'). The Guidance shall include a Code of Practice (1.1(k); 13).
This first edition is not a comprehensive Guide covering all aspects. The Guidance and Code are likely to go through multiple editions as the Presbytery Mission Planning process advances and as the Church grows in knowledge and experience.
At this early stage, it is important to restate the priority of the Church which Presbyteries, together with the General Trustees and the Faith Nurture Forum, must deliver using this Act. The Act is a means to this end, which is the Church's participation in Christ's mission. Therefore, this first edition begins with those sections of the Act which focus on that Mission and aims at being a Code which will enable effective mission in practice. It is useful to restate the Five Marks of Mission here:
The mission of the Church is the mission of Christ:
- To proclaim the Good News of the Kingdom
- To teach, baptise and nurture new believers
- To respond to human need by loving service
- To seek to transform unjust structures of society, to challenge violence of every kind and pursue peace and reconciliation
- To strive to safeguard the integrity of creation and sustain and renew the life of the earth.
Further reflection from the Church's Theological Forum on the Five Marks of Mission are available for download in PDF form.