Effective asbestos management
If we follow the seven simple steps of effective asbestos management, we can effectively control any ACM found in our buildings and, more importantly, ensure that staff and visitors are kept free from any potential harm or risks posed by asbestos or ACM.
Seven steps to good asbestos management:
- Find out if asbestos is present in your building, including suspected ACM
- Make a record of the location, type and condition of the asbestos
- Clearly sign the area affected to warn others of the potential ACM
- Assess the risk of anyone being exposed to the asbestos
- Prepare a plan on how to manage these risks
- Put the plan into action, monitor it and keep it up to date
- Provide this information to anyone who might work on or disturb the asbestos
Further practical and specific advice is available from the General Trustees Health and Safety department to support the congregations to meet their compliance obligations.