About the Fund
The Small Grants Fund provides grants of up to £1,000 for short-term project funding of between 3 and 12 months.
Often a small amount of money at the right time can make a huge difference. For this reason, the 2022 Small Grants Fund is focused on short-term (less than 12 month) projects rather than those which are larger and of longer scale. The Fund has been approved by the Assembly Trustees to contribute to early-stage work, to be a response to more immediate needs and to help with innovation.
Individual Church of Scotland churches and presbyteries and groups of churches or presbyteries can apply. Churches and presbyteries are also able to work with ecumenical partners, though the application will need to come from the Church of Scotland church or presbytery.
Criteria for funded projects
Projects will bring about change in at least one of the following areas:
- Developing mission through new worshipping communities (including online worship)
- Engaging and attracting those aged 40 and under including children, young people and families
- Addressing pressing issues in the church
- Increasing experimentation with innovation in church practices.
What can and cannot be funded?
- Awards are to be used with a revenue project focus
- Awards cannot be used for:
- Contribution to capital building costs
- Covering retrospective costs
- Making up shortfall in income.
Size of Grants
Grants will be up to £1,000 (max), allowing 100 or more congregations and presbyteries to benefit from the fund (total grant budget: £100,000).
When can I apply?
The Fund has two "calls" for applications
- Call 1: April–June
- Call 2: September–November.
The Fund will also provide weekly online "drop-in" calls to bring successful applicants together to share in their experiences as we navigate the journey of being church and further adjust to and come out of the pandemic.
For further details on making an application please go to the How to Apply page.
If your question is not answered in the guidance below, please contact the 2022 Small Grants Fund on email 2022SGF@churchofscotland.org.uk