Books for worship
The Office for Worship and Doctrine offers a number of books and publications. Unless otherwise stated, all books are published by the Church's publishing house, Saint Andrew Press. You can also order by email where discount is offered for bulk orders.
Church Hymnary Fourth Edition (CH4)
A new edition of the Church Hymnary was published in May 2005 and can be purchased from Canterbury Press. There are also many songs from other parts of the world church, and some great new tunes. A special feature is the reinstatement of the psalms at the front of the book, in a variety of settings.
CH4 consists of:
- Music edition priced at £27 ISBN: 1853116130
- Melody edition (the main edition, £16) ISBN: 1853116149
- Words only edition at £12 ISBN: 185311832X
- Large print edition at £20 ISBN: 1853116122
- Braille edition of CH4 - this can be ordered via the Mission and Discipleship Council and Doctrine by email or telephoning 0131 225 5722
CD-Rom - a CD-Rom version is available from the Canterbury Press. This enables congregations to download words and music for order of service sheets and overhead/Power Point projection, and churches without organists can accompany singing through a MIDI system and transfer the music into locally-held music software so that parts can be transposed for instruments.
Common Order is the Church's book of services and resources for public worship drawing from a wide range of church traditions. It offers complete Orders of Service, devotional prayers, and additional resources such as Scripture sentences, collects and a three year lectionary.
The Book of Common Order is available to purchase from St Andrew Press.
Pamphlets based on Common Order are available to purchase:
- A Welcome to a Child - four orders of service for thanksgiving and blessing for parents, those seeking to be baptised, and worship leaders, taken from Common Order 1994. Many Christian parents seek a rite of reception of their child into the family of the Church which would leave the child free upon reaching maturity to decide for him/herself to seek baptism. Also included is an Order of Holy Baptism of a Child and Vows and Charge to the Congregation for Use at a Confirmation. Price £4.99
- By Water and the Spirit - What it means to be baptised. This book is for all those, of whatever denomination, who wish to explore baptism and Church membership, especially those who seek baptism for themselves or their children. Price £4.99
- Christian Baptism An outline and explanation of the services in Common Order 1994 for those considering Baptism for themselves or their children. Price £1.50
- Christian Marriage For couples preparing for marriage, including an outline and explanation of the services in Common Order 1994, together with other practical information. Price £1.50
- The Funeral Services The complete funeral section in Common Order 1994, with an introduction for ease of use of ministers. Price £3.99
- The Lectionary Price Scripture readings for Sunday worship throughout the year with an extended introduction on the purpose, shape and use of the lectionary. Taken from Common Order 1994. Price £2.99
The Ordinal includes ordination, induction and introduction of stipendiary ministry, ordination of a deacon, admission to the office of reader, a welcome to members from other churches, linking and union of congregations, admission to the status of minister of the Church of Scotland, and prayers for constituting a meeting of a court of the church.
The latest edition also includes services for the dedication of a church or a church hall, closure of a church building (dissolution of a congregation. The book is priced at £6 and is available from the Mission and Discipleship Council. To order a copy please email.
Leabhar Sheirbheisean is the Gaelic language edition of Common Order 1994. The book is priced at £6 and is available from the Office for Worship. To order a copy please email.