It is good practice for the duty holder(s) of the congregation(s) to select a contractor on the basis of their health and safety competence. To help with this decision you should ask to see evidence of records such as:
- The company's Health and Safety Policy
- Staff training and competency records and/or specialist certification
- Examples of Risk Assessments and method statements
- Previous or current Client references
- Accident records and RIDDOR reportable accident rates etc.
- Any enforcement action taken by authorities
- Maintenance of machinery and plant equipment
- Proof of adequate insurance
- Membership of professional organisation or certified body.
Where more than one contractor is involved the client must appoint a principal designer and principal contractor and they will need to produce a health and safety file.