Life and Work
Life and Work is the magazine of the Church of Scotland. In a history spanning over 140 years, it has established itself as the voice of the Church of Scotland.
Though firmly rooted in the affairs of the Kirk, it also aims to cover a broad range of subjects of interest to church-goers across the spectrum, from international affairs and British political and social issues to science, ethics, and the arts.
Each monthly issue includes a forum for views on current social and moral issues; a monthly meditation and regular articles on the spiritual side of life; reviews of the latest books, videos, and Christian resources; and regular features on the Church worldwide.
Our subscription service offers you the convenience of having Life and Work magazine delivered direct to your door or any digital device; you can also arrange a gift subscription. Free Gaelic supplements are also available.
During this challenging period, Life and Work is committed to helping keep our Christian community connected. The magazine continues to be published and distributed to our loyal readers. If you need to contact our team, please email editorial enquiries to email@example.com or all other enquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This month, we have launched Lockdown Weekly, a free weekly update which we hope will be a useful resource to help people keep in touch with events in the Church of Scotland while churches are shut and many of us are in isolation. Free every Friday to download from the Life and Work website.
Current issue: November 2020
- Service and Needs
- Looking back at the Church’s work providing for the forces at home and abroad during the Second World War.
- What Matters Most
- Jackie Macadam meets Sarah Davidson, chief executive of the Carnegie UK Trust, and learns about the influence of faith on her life.
- War, Sacrifice and Gratitude
- Jeff Hopewell describes how stained glass has been used in some churches to remember the sacrifices of war.
- Trusting God
- The Rt Rev Dr Martin Fair says we are going to have to get better at living with uncertainty, trusting that God is with us.
- Stop Fuelling the Fire
- Kirsten Clarke describes her year as one of Christian Aid’s Prophetic Activists
- With Scorching Heat and Drought
- Adrian Shaw reflects on the Church of Scotland’s history on climate change.
- Poppies, Medals and Hot Chocolate
- The Very Rev Albert Bogle reflects on the month of November
Contact Life and Work
One of the magazine's most important elements is reader feedback. Our letters pages are among the liveliest in the magazine business, and are very revealing about general attitudes both within and beyond the Church. We actively encourage letters, but do ask that they are kept succinct (and not without humour), so we can publish as many as possible.
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: 0131 225 5722
- Write: Life and Work, 121 George Street, Edinburgh EH2 4YN
Advertise in Life and Work
To place an advertisement in Life and Work, please contact our advertisers:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: 0141 204 2042
- Fax: 0141 204 2043
- Write: Publicity, Suite 4b Craighall Business Park, Glasgow G4 9XA