Education and support
The Ministries Council recruits, trains and supports people for the recognised ministries of the Church of Scotland.
The remit of the education and support section of the Ministries Council is to:
- Develop and implement patterns of enquiry and assessment and vocational guidance which enable the identification of appropriately called and gifted people to train for recognised ministries
- Develop and implement training patterns for those accepted into training for the recognised ministries of the Church
- Enable the transfer of people from other denominations into the ministries of the Church
- Deliver pastoral support to those involved in the recognised ministries of the Church through the development and resourcing of local pastoral networks, direct one-to-one engagement and the provision of occupational health support, counselling, mediation and conflict resolution services
- Promoting and provide vocational guidance and life-long learning opportunities for ministries personnel through in-service events, self-appraisal processes and a study leave programme
Being a minister is one of the most challenging, yet rewarding jobs in Scotland. It requires leadership, resilience, compassion and energy. The role of parish minister is at the very heart of Scotland's communities and central to the Kirk's 1,400 congregations.
We have an extensive Vocations section dedicated to guiding those who are called to ministry.
This section includes information on Vocations Information Day, training, discernment, study, work placements, conferences, and more.
Ascend brings together a range of services and opportunities for those in ministry. The heart of Ascend is to provide a creative and safe space that enables meaningful support and development.
We hope the services and opportunities of Ascend benefit all of you in ministry serving God throughout the local communities throughout the Church.
Ascend's Core Services include:
- Ministerial Development Conversation
- Pastoral Supervision
- Leadership Development
- Postgraduate Fund
- CMD Opportunities
- Spiritual Accompaniment
- First Five Years Support
- Study Leave
- Counselling and Therapy.
Where to find us
At Ascend Online you can find out about our core services, book a Ministerial Development Conversation, find useful resources, and browse the latest news and events. You also apply for Study Leave, Postgraduate Funding and IME fund via our easy to use web forms.