Sport and Exercise Classes
Within different protection level areas there are different rules on what sport and exercise groups (including dance groups) can take place within a place of worship.
- Level 0 –Indoor and Outdoor classes for all ages are permitted to take place
- Level 1 –Indoor and Outdoor classes for all ages, except indoor contact sports for over 18s are permitted to take place (with exception of professional sports)
- Level 2 –Indoor and Outdoor classes for all ages, except indoor contact sports for over 18s are permitted to take place (with exception of professional sports)
- Level 3 –Indoor classes for under 18s only are permitted and outdoor classes are permitted with the exception of no outdoor contact sports for those 18 or over (with the exception of professional sport)
- Level 4 – No indoor activities are permitted and only outdoor classes for non-contact sports are permitted (with the exception of professional sport)
Congregations must ensure that arrangements are in place to ensure that physical distancing, hygiene and cleaning and disinfection measures are in place before any sports or exercise groups return to their church building. Congregation and activity leaders must also refer to sportscotland guidance on specific sport activities and to sportscotland guidance on leading physical activities. If specific COVID-19 guidance for a particular sport, or exercise activity has not been published by either the Scottish Government, sportscotland or a professional body, then this activity should not take place at this time.
Physical distancing requirements may be different for each individual sport and exercise activity and congregations must ensure that the appropriate guidance is followed at all times. In most cases, the 2m physical distance must be complied within all church buildings until at least certain sport and exercise classes/activities begin. In some cases, face coverings can be removed by those participating in certain sport and exercise activities, however it is the responsibility of the congregation and activity leaders to confirm whether is applies to their specific activity or not. Face coverings must be worn at all times and a 2m physical distance must be adhered to at all other times whilst inside a church building.
Many dance schools and teachers in Scotland are also members of the SDTA which has issued guidance to their members. Congregations may wish to ask their group for a copy of this guidance. In addition, congregations and dance leaders should refer to the Scottish Government’s guidance for the performing arts and venues sector.