HeartEdge Annual Conference
The annual HeartEdge conference, ‘On earth as it is in heaven’, returns to Edinburgh this October with a host of popular figures, including a prominent American theologian and church leaders from across Scotland and England, descending on St Cuthbert’s Parish Church, St John’s Episcopal Church and Greyfriars Kirk.
The conference is a practical two-day intensive aimed at sharing ideas, discussing theology, making connections and connecting with communities.
Within the event programme there will be practical workshops on topics including enterprise and commerce, launching cultural projects, developing congregations and sustaining community response, plus time to make connections and find encouragement.
Special guest speakers and contributors
During the conference, Sheena McDonald will be in conversation with Rt Rev Colin Sinclair, Moderator of the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland, Most Rev Mark Strange, Primus of the Scottish Episcopal Church and Dr Sara Parvis, Senior Lecturer in Patristics, University of Edinburgh, on the theme of renewing the Church.
Alongside important discussions on renewal, a line-up of other special guests and contributors are already confirmed to take part, including:
- Winnie Varghese, US theologian, priest, author and blogger for the Huffington Post
- Cormac Russell, asset-based community worker
- Rev Rosie Addis, associate rector of St John’s Episcopal
- David Bradwell, co-ordinator for Scottish Faiths Action for Refugees
- Very Rev Dr Derek Browning, minister of Morningside Parish Church in Edinburgh
- I.D. Campbell, artist-in-residence at St George’s Tron Church of Scotland in Glasgow
- Rev Jonathan Evens, associate vicar HeartEdge at St Martin-in-the-Fields in London
- Sally Hitchiner, associate vicar ministry at St Martin-in-the-Fields in London
- Simon Jay, community development worker for the Haven Community Project in Birmingham
- Jonny Kinross, CEO of the Grassmarket Community Project
- Tania Kovats, an artist focussing on works which explore our experience and understanding of landscape
- Deborah Lewer, senior lecturer in history of art at the University of Glasgow
- Suzanne Lofthus, artistic director of Cutting Edge Theatre Productions
- Rev Maxwell Reay, minister for the Metropolitan Community Church
- Rev Scott Rennie, minister of Queen’s Cross Parish Church in Aberdeen
- Rev Fiona Smith, minister of Ness Bank Church in Inverness
- Rev Peter Sutton, minister of St Cuthbert’s Parish Church in Edinburgh
- Rev Bev Thomas, an ecumenical minister, freelance consultant, project manager and lecturer
- Adrian Wiszniewski, a Scottish artist and member of the New Glasgow Boys group of artists
A particular highlight for this year is the chance to hear from Winnie Varghese, a renowned American theologian who brings her experience of tackling social injustice as part of her role as priest and chief justice and reconciliation officer at Trinity Church Wall Street in New York City.
Book your place
Date: Wednesday 2 October, 10:00 – 16:30
Venues: St Cuthbert’s Parish Church, St John’s Episcopal Church and Greyfriars Kirk
One-day tickets start from £40 and two-day tickets start from £80.
Your ticket includes lunch and refreshments across the course of the day.
For more information, please get in touch with Rev Jonathan Evens, HeartEdge organiser and Associate Vicar of St Martin-in-the-Fields, by email or by telephoning: 020 7766 1127.