World Mission Council
Who we are
The aim of the World Mission Council is to enable the Church of Scotland, as part of the holy catholic or universal Church, to participate effectively in the Mission of God in the world, following the example and priorities of Jesus Christ and seeking the guidance of the Holy Spirit.
The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to set the oppressed free, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favour.Luke 4: 18-19, NIV
The World Mission Council seeks to fulfil that aim by:
- Engaging in a process of attentive accompaniment with the Church of Scotland’s partners worldwide. (That is, listening to and walking with our partners on our shared journey of faith)
- Developing flexible models of partner-relationships and service opportunities with the world church
- Maximising the available human and financial resources
- Maximising the benefits to the Church in Scotland of involvement in the world church and communicating these benefits to the members and congregations of the Church of Scotland
The World Mission Council has 32 members appointed by the General Assembly. One member is appointed by the Presbytery of International Charges. In addition, The Guild send a representative. The Convener is the Very Rev Dr Susan Brown. The Vice Conveners are Rev Allan Miller and Ms Maureen Jack.
Contact for more information
- Council Secretary: Ian Alexander
- Africa and Caribbean Secretary: Jennie Chinembiri
- Asia Secretary: Sandy Sneddon
- Middle East Secretary: Kenny Roger
- Twinning and Local Development Secretary: Carol Finlay
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or contact us at the Church's offices in Edinburgh.