Due to technical difficulties with our newsletter delivery platform we are currently unable to send out our Ministries newsletter. We hope that a resolution will be found soon but in the meantime our apologies for the delay in sending this information to our subscribers.
The Ministries Council recruits, trains and supports ministers in every part of Scotland - giving special priority to the poorest and most marginalized areas.
The Council also monitors the deployment of ministers and offers strategic leadership in developing collaborative ministry.
The policy development and implementation of the Minstries Council's work is carried out by committees in each of these areas.
Following the Gospel imperative of priority to the poor and working directly in support of the poorest parishes in Scotland, developing resources to enable ministries and build communities of hope, enabling and supporting work in partnership with ecumenical, interfaith and statutory agencies to achieve the goal of alleviating poverty in Scotland.
Recruitment, Training and Support of Ministries Personnel
- Developing and implementing patterns of enquiry and assessment and vocational guidance which enable the identification of appropriately called and gifted people to train for recognised ministries
- Developing and implementing training patterns for those accepted into training for the recognised ministries of the Church
- Enabling the transfer of people from other denominations into the ministries of the Church
- Delivering pastoral support to those involved in the recognised ministries of the Church through the development and resourcing of local pastoral networks, direct one-to-one engagement and the provision of occupational health support, counselling, mediation and conflict resolution services
- Promoting and providing vocational guidance and life-long learning opportunities for ministries personnel through in-service events, self-appraisal processes and a study leave programme
Working with Presbyteries and other Partners in Planning and Resourcing Ministries
- Working with Presbyteries, for effective deployment of ministries to meet the needs of the parishes of Scotland and charges in the Presbytery of England, including consulting with congregations and other denominations where appropriate
- Working in partnership with other agencies of the Church and ecumenical partners, to enable the emergence of ministries to meet the needs of the people of Scotland in every part
- Supporting those engaged in chaplaincy services both directly employed by the Council and employed by other agencies
- Ensuring best practice in the employment, care and support of staff, including setting appropriate terms and conditions, offering developmental training to staff and those responsible for their management
Ensuring good management of funds and monitoring budgets
- Planning strategically for the future funding of the recognised ministries of the Church
- Managing the funds and overseeing the budgeting processes of the Council to ensure that maximum benefit is derived for the Church's ministries through the use of income and capital
- Preparing recommendations on the level of stipends and salaries and liaising with Pension Trustees on matters relating to the setting of the Standard Annuity and discretionary increases in pension, and negotiating and reaching agreement with Pension Trustees on funding rates
Strategic Planning Group
Reporting to the Council with ideas on the future strategic direction of the Council's work.
The Council also has a number of task groups which undertake specific areas of work.
The Council comprises of 47 people:
- 42 members (38 members appointed by the General Assembly plus 1 member appointed from and by the General Trustees, the Housing and Loan Fund, the Committee on Chaplains to Her Majesty’s Forces and the Diaconate Council)
- 1 Convener
- 4 Vice-Conveners
The Ministries Council will meet on the following dates:
- Wednesday 31 October, 2018
- Wednesday 12 December, 2018
- Wednesday 13 February, 2019
- Wednesday 20 March, 2019
Minutes from Ministries Council meetings
- Ministries Council meeting 8 (2017-18) 5-6 September 2018
- Ministries Council meeting 7 (2017-18) 20 June 2018
- Ministries Council meeting 6 (2017-18) 21 March 2018
- Ministries Council meeting 5 (2017-18) 14 February 2018
- Ministries Council meeting 4 (2017-18) 6 December 2017
- Ministries Council meeting 3 (2017) 25 October 2017
- Ministries Council meeting 2 (2017) 30-31 August 2017
- Ministries Council meeting 1 (2017-18) 22 June 2017
Contact for more information
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or contact us at the Church's offices in Edinburgh.