Whilst there has been a great deal of public debate about the global and corporate consequences of the economic downturn caused by the credit crunch, its long-term effects will most keenly be felt not in headlines and soundbites but in the communities our parishes serve. The Church and Society Council has taken the view that whilst the Church needs to engage in that public debate, resources and support are also greatly needed in parishes and other local ministries, such as chaplaincies, as that is where the community of the faithful that is the Church is most authentically manifested.
Holding out the Word of life
'Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may....shine like stars in the universe, as you hold out the word of life'. Philippians 2:14-16.
Dr Murdo Macdonald, Policy Officer, Science Religion and Technology, has written an introductory article.
- Where your treasure is: A Christian perspective on the financial crisis Article by David McNair, Principal Economic Justice Advisor, Christian Aid and Kathy Galloway, Head of Christian Aid Scotland
Watch video clips of our annual conference and lecture with an economic theme on our You Tube Channel. Speakers are Ann Pettifor and Alan McFarlane. Visit Church and Society You Tube Channel at http://www.youtube.com/user/ChurchandSociety#p/u
Justice and markets report to the General Assembly
This report by the Church and Sociey Council to the 2009 General Assembly considers ideas and opportunities, set in a theological framework, as to how congregations respond to those suffering as a consequence of the global financial crisis. It also asks is it possible to formulate a personal Christian ethic of economics.
Practical lifestyle ideas
- Local Exchange Trading: Mutual aid without the need for money www.letslinkuk.net
- Cartoon and resources about sustainability www.storyofstuff.com
- Challenge yourself to switch off from shopping and tune into life www.buynothingday.co.uk
- Nonprofit movement of people who are giving and getting stuff for free in their own towns www.freecycle.org/
Discussion and action
- Just Church programme: 12 flexible modules relating to justice - includes worship material and a module on 'Just Money' www.justchurch.org.uk
- Church Action on Poverty: news, information and campaigns www.church-poverty.org.uk
- News and links on poverty and debt: Churches together in Britain and Ireland www.ctbi.org.uk
- Speaking out with one voice against injustice www.e-alliance.ch
- Child Poverty Action Group www.cpag.org.uk
Advice and support
A group from Fullarton Parish Church in Irvine have trained as Money Coaches to run the Christians Against Poverty (CAP) Money Course. This is a simple, back to basics approach to money management. The money coaches' role is to encourage people to be faithful in controlling their money, free themselves of debt and save for the future. They are not financial advisers. For those with serious debt problems CAP can provide professional debt counselling. If any church is interested in running the course please contact Collette Haig at email@example.com.
- Matter of life and debt: Church of England www.cofe.anglican.org/debt
- Prayers www.cofe.anglican.org/prayers
- Find out about the Poverty Truth Commission and funding for anti-poverty work in Scotland www.faithincommunityscotland.org
- Scottish League of Credit Unions www.scottishcu.org
- Worrying about heating Bills? Want to save energy? www.homeheathelpline.org.uk
- Crown Financial Ministries has books and Bible Study material that you can buy. Their goal is to equip people to learn, apply and teach God's financial principles
- Find useful downloadable Bible study material on financial matters here.www.jubilee-centre.org