Invest in Peace
Action for a just peace in Israel and Palestine
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called children of God.
Whatever your experience, or available time, we hope the ideas listed below are helpful for action. One person cannot do everything, but together we can make a difference.
From wherever you are, join the 'Wave of Prayer' organised by the Sabeel Ecumenical Liberation Theology Centre in Jerusalem every Thursday at noon. Pray for peace with justice. You can find more information about Sabeel and the 'Wave of Prayer'
Remember all Church of Scotland staff working in the Holy Land
Sing a new Hymn: Lord Jesus, You wept for Jerusalem:
Lord Jesus, you wept for Jerusalem -
city that failed to live up to its name
you longed to hold its children in your arms
they turned their backs on all that makes for peace.
And still the walls of hate and fear divide
suspicion and mistrust on either side
so that both hope and justice are denied.
Lord, give us courage to invest in peace.
In love you chose to take the uphill way
confronting bitter hate and enmity
to draw together those once far away
till through your cross you paid the price of peace.
When we are tempted by the careless way
of hasty prejudice and bigotry,
awaken us from all complacency
and give us courage to invest in peace.
Iain D. Cunningham 2011
The author suggests the following tunes, depending on the context in which it is being used. It is written in 10 10 10 10 metre so quite a few tunes fit. You can try CHILTON FOLIAT (497 in CH4) or other suitable tunes might be SURSUM CORDA (96 in CH4 for a more reflective, meditative setting); WOODLANDS (286 in CH4 for a more uplifting feel); the adventurous might like to try TAKE UP THE SONG (171 in CH4); another well-known tune is ELLERS (221 in CH4) more usually associated with 'Saviour, again to thy dear name we raise'; and finally, there is EVENTIDE (580 in CH4) better known as 'Abide with me'.
- Give 3 months of your time working with the Ecumenical Accompaniers Programme (EAPPI)
- Make a gift of fairly-traded Palestinian products from Hadeel
- Kairos Palestine document - Find out more and read the document
- A Palestinian Christian Cry for Reconciliation by Naim Ateek
- Church of Scotland Mission Partner blogs
- Christian Aid Reports
- The Scottish Palestinian Forum
- The Friends of Tabeetha School
- The Friends of St Andrew's Church
- Send a Christmas card to Christians living in Bethlehem
- Write to your MP or to the Israeli Ambassador to Britain reinforcing British opposition to illegal settlements. We can help draft your letter
- Invite a Church of Scotland Mission Partner or EAPPI volunteer to speak at your church
- Go to Israel & Palestine on pilgrimage and meet Christians living there
- Twin your congregation with a church in the Middle East
- Invite Jewish or Muslim neighbours to talk about their faith
- Films: Budrus, With God on Our Side, East Side Story
- TV: The Promise
- Web: Reports from Christian Aid partners