Syria and Lebanon

Partner Church

National Evangelical Synod of Syria and Lebanon

Partnership History

  • Originates in the evangelical revival in the early 19th century, which found support in the witness of Reformed missionaries from Britain and North America
  • In 1848, the Ottoman authorities recognised the Evangelical (Protestant) faith
  • The first churches were founded in Beirut and Hasbaya on the slopes of Mt Hermon
  • The synod was organised in 1920 and is the administrative body for Arabic-speaking congregations
  • Since 1959 the synod has assumed responsibility for the direction of nearly all the work of former mission bodies from Scotland, Ireland and USA among others

Partners

  • Near East School of Theology, in Beirut
  • Joint Christian Committee for Social Services in Lebanon
  • Middle East Council of Churches

To see some photographs of our work in Syria and Lebanon please visit our Flickr account.