Pakistan

Partner Churches

The Church of Pakistan (COP)

Partnership History

  • Following the partition of British India in 1947, the Protestant denominations in Pakistan began negotiations to form a national Protestant Church
  • The Church of Scotland eased the way for this process by merging their mission work into the life of the independent Sialkot Presbytery during the 1950s
  • On All Saints Day in 1970 the COP came into being as an ecumenical organisation representing Anglicans, Congregationalists, Lutherans, Methodists and Presbyterians
  • Today the Church has over 500,000 members in 460 parishes
  • COP is an ecumenical denomination and the largest protestant denomination in Pakistan
  • Church World Service – Pakistan/Afghanistan

Twinnings and Projects

  • CLAAS Campaign against the misuse of the Blasphemy Law
  • Ibtida Drug User Rehabiliation Project
  • St Thomas Theological College
  • Gujranwala Theological Seminary (run by Presbyterian Church of Pakistan)
  • The Church of Pakistan is also supported in areas relating to work with women and young people and health work
  • HIV Programmes - ICAN (Islamabad Christians Against Narcotics), Pakistan;  Women's Development and Service Society,  leading HIV/AIDS Prevention Awareness sessions among female sex workers;
  • Diocese of Multan provides information on HIV to migrant workers, medical staff, sex workers, and vulnerable communities.  

To see some photographs of our work in Pakistan please visit our Flickr account.