Bangladesh

Partner Church

Church of Bangladesh

Partnership History

  • The Church of Bangladesh originated in the work of missionaries operating out of British India
  • The first Protestant church was built at Dinajpur in the north-west in 1796
  • In 1951 the Diocese of Dhaka became part of the Church of Pakistan, thus separating itself from the Diocese of Calcutta
  • The Civil war in 1971, between East and West Pakistan, led to the east becoming independent as Bangladesh
  • The Diocese of Dhaka became independent as the Church of Bangladesh, which became ecumenical when Presbyterians joined the Church
  • The Church of Bangladesh comprises more than 18,000 members, across 71 parishes

Twinnings and Projects

  • Congregational and presbytery twinnings between Scotland and Bangladesh as well as a Mission Partner appointed by the ecumenical Church of Bangladesh Group
  • Support for ministry costs
  • Christ Church Trade School, Jessore
  • Church of Bangladesh Social Development Programme  and HIV Programme
  • Justice for Bangladeshi garment Workers Campaign

To see some photographs of our work in Bangladesh please visit our Flickr account.