Zambia

Partner Church

United Church of Zambia

Partnership History

  • The United Church of Zambia has its roots in the ecumenical cooperation which existed in the Copperbelt area in the 1920s
  • The Paris Evangelical Missionary (PEMS) known as the Church of Barotseland started working amongst the Lozi people as early as 1885, which lead to the Missionary Conference in North-Western Rhodesia in 1928 with the Methodist Missionary Society
  • Scottish involvement came via the Livingstonia Presbytery in Malawi (then Nyasaland), as many Malawian men journeyed to work in the Copperbelt
  • The Church of Scotland responded by sending missionaries and outreach workers, so that by 1946, 7,000 children were being educated in Christian schools at the mines
  • In 1958 the Church of Scotland congregations in Northern and Luapula provinces and the congregations of the London Missionary Society (LMS) united to form the United Church of Central Africa in Rhodesia (UCCAR)
  • The United Church of Zambia was formed in 1965 by the merger of the UCCAR with the Methodist Church and the Church of Barosetland
  • It has 2 million members and around 1,000 congregations

Twinnings and Partnerships

  • Many congregational twinnings between Scotland and Zambia, and several Mission Partners
  • Mwandi UCZ Mission AIDS Relief (HIV Programme)
  • Theological Education by Extension, Zambia (TEEZ)
  • UCZ Community Development and Social Justice Department
  • United Church of Zambia Theological College (UCZTC)
  • HIV projects across the Church

To see some photographs of our work in Zambia please visit our Flickr account.