Nigeria

Partner Church

Presbyterian Church of Nigeria (PCN)

Partnership History

  • The United Secession Church of Scotland missionaries were sent by the United Church of Jamaica and the Cayman Islands in 1846 at the invitation of the King of Calabar
  • Work included setting up a hospital at Uburu and the construction of a rehabilitation centre for lepers at Itu
  • One famous Scottish missionary in Nigeria was Mary Slessor who arrived in 1876 and undertook pioneering work in the region
  • The native church gained independence from the mission in 1945 as the Presbyterian Church of Biafra
  • Today the PCN remains an independent denomination and has around 500,000 members in 52 presbyteries

Twinnings and Partners

  • Twinnings between congregations in Scotland and Nigeria
  • Presbyterian Community Services and Development (PCS&D)

To see some photographs of our work in Nigeria please visit our Flickr account.