Jamaica and the Cayman Islands

Partner Church

United Church in Jamaica and the Cayman Islands

Partnership History

  • The Scottish Missionary Society first established a presence on Jamaica in 1800 (by 1840 the work had been taken over by the United Secession Church)
  • In 1846 the Church in Jamaica undertook an independent mission to Calabar, Nigeria. On root, Hope Waddell, was stranded on the island of Grand Cayman, which prompted him to suggest a missionary was sent from Jamaica
  • In 1849, the church was reconstituted as the Presbyterian Church of Jamaica and Grand Cayman in federal relation with the Scottish Church
  • The Church became independent in 1954 and united with the Congregational Church in 1965 to form the United Church of Jamaica and Grand Cayman
  • In 1992 the Disciples of Christ in Jamaica joined the union to create the church as presently constituted, with a small name change – the United Church in Jamaica and the Cayman Islands
  • It currently has over 10,000 members and over 200 congregations

Twinnings and Partners

We have one twinning between congregations in Jamaica and Scotland.